Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Alicia Viguer-Espert

First Weeks

Four years was way too early
Even for a cat loving child
But a new sister needed the space
I occupied in my mother’s arms.

On the first morning I followed a smug Taby
Through an invisible barrier to a Palms Garden,
Forced it to sit on my uniformed lap,
Caressed its back to comfort its fear, my betrayal.

To exorcise grief, I pulled at its tail softly,
The way a small child pulls at her mom’s skirt
To get attention, express jealousy,
hurt.

Never saw Siamese nor Abyssinians.
During recess dozens of feral cats
Of every color held private meetings
That became the school’s signature.

On the seventh day a Calico smiled at me,
Treacherous little one,
I returned home with easily read
Marks of misfortune on my arms.

She kissed them away without fanfare.
Held my face for a sec. Clear eyed
I searched for the sowing kit
To stich my injured heart.

By the fourth week I found
meditating among the bamboo field
A Tibetan monk, long robe, calm eyes,
Paws crossed over its chest.

I sat with it,
Compassionately it dried my tears,
Chanted a favorite lullaby together,
Began my education.

No comments:

Post a Comment