Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Thom Garzone

Cramming Game

Between concepts and dreams lay morning
to sing hope and for future seeds of the mind.
Consumed by the status symbol of a 4.0
grade A, and overachieving in academia,
here, I aim to suspend knowledge, process
information, and sooth all senses of success
in a foundation of thought. 8 weeks stuffing
7 chapters of general sociology into my brain,
pervading to think critically, so that I can taste
of positive results. Responding to the professor,
yet unable to apply “The Spacing Effect,” only
compelled to cram, squeeze each principle
into a crowded classroom of my mind.
A full score on a paper, still struggling with our
quizzes, watching a video screen for an instructor,
but now I just splash my face with cold water
and manifest peace to accept earning an A minus.



Imprisoned Minds

I stand at the head of a classroom,
step past rows like an armed guard
marching along corridors,
a pen for a rifle.
Walls enclose their brains.
We tell them when they can go
to the bathroom or eat.
The principal’s office centers the grounds,
a warden residing over inmates.
Only the students’ diplomas allow them to differ,
tried as adults and how the convicts are sentenced
by their peers in solitary frenzies and confined quarters
yet both live out their existence in terms
by a society conformed to authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment