Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Lori Wall-Holloway

6th Grade Blues

Embarrassed going
to school in ’32 Ford
Praying no one sees

Buy fruit and cupcake
to add to my brown bag lunch
Yearn for hot dog day

My class heads for camp
while I stay back with homework
Cheeks swollen with mumps



Last Week of School, 2020

Pandemic continues 
as I play teacher 
for two of my grand-
daughters whose schools 
closed due to a quarantine

But on a rainy spring day
they stay home
I walk for exercise but feel
lost not able to help the girls
begin to complete  their last
week of instruction

My goals have become 
theirs and I feel unable
to get back on track 
with my projects that lie 
hidden in the closet
and on the computer

So I decide to shop online
and try to prepare 
for the summer before fall 
possibly turns my home
into a learning 
facility once more



Search for a Prize

(For Bobby Muzingo)

Sitting in a tiny room surrounded
by small cartons of cold white
milk, my brother serves
as Milk Monitor at our school
After he exchanges the beverage
for five cents from each student
in line, he carefully combs
through the coinage
to search for prized monies
he can bring home to Dad for
his coin collection

Bobby carries extra change
with him in case he finds
silver dimes and quarters
But the treasure he seeks
is a nickel or penny stamped
twice by the Nation’s
Mint known as a Double Die

He never finds such a prize
but the time he spends
with our father pouring
over collector’s books
and checking out the change
he brings home is invaluable
as they share the same hobby

No comments:

Post a Comment