Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Gene Schultz

My Best Friend

I do not know when I met you
nor do I remember our first meeting
It seems like one day you were just there
And you have been there with me ever since.

It could have been that first day of school
You know way back in kindergarten
Or maybe when I had my first crush on a girl
It does not matter because I can count on you
Good or bad you are always there exceptionally reliable

As we traveled through the years of maturity
well into adulthood our emotions continued to grow
the intensity occasionally producing physiological reactions
that were unusual and fearful like anxiety and terror
in a brief period, those intense feelings appeared to diminish
allowing me to once again believe that I was in control

It took a lot of years for you to train me to understand
you always sent a physical signal that you were coming
you always gave me the tools to prepare and cope
it was my responsibility to decode the signs and prepare
eventually I was able to do it, but it took a long time

Today, after many years of fear and intimidation
I recognize the feelings that announce your presence
and realize you want to influence my decision-making process
I know that you are truly my friend and want me to succeed
So, I have finally learned to effectively to use you
Just like all the other tools in my kit

Anxiety you are truly my friend
You have never abandoned me
You have always been there to guide me
And help me succeed regardless of the circumstance
Anxiety I love you.



Not Really My Friend

Do you remember that time in school
when you finally discovered girls
to be the subject of great interest
but did not necessarily know why?

For me it all started in the eighth grade.
It was not that primordial drive to mate
But peer pressure that drove me to act.
All my friends were going steady
And were pushing me to do the same
so, I went to the local five and dime
purchased a cheap gold colored ring
then went looking for a girl to accept it.

My more cogent companions were eager to help
eventually introducing me to a girl named Sadie
who appeared to be enthusiastic and ready.
So, with my gold ring we started going steady

I was not exactly sure what it all meant
But was told that hanging my ring on a chain
around her pretty soft white neck for all to see
was a signpost telling all she belonged to me.

I soon learned that I had entered the coop
of my own making when I pledged my emotions
and physical being to the machinations of one girl
I no longer existed in the eyes of the other girls
because now I belonged to Sadie, heart, and soul

I obediently followed her like a puppy on a leash
conforming with all her whims and fancies.
She would prance me around and have me do tricks
like a prized show dog for all her friends to see

The euphoria came crushing down in an event
of contrived humiliation and embarrassment
and I became fully aware of the significance
of my actions and true effects all around

But now I am free
to search for other girls in this vast sea



Last Day of School

Tuesday. 12 March 2020

Slowly moving up the curved driveway
Cheerfully watching the children play
at the end of this school day,

I see my granddaughter
sitting at the base of the flagpole
dutifully doing her homework
as she waits for me to come
and take her home.

she turns and looks in my direction
a big smile lights her face with affection
quickly she gathers all of her scattered her gear
and races to the open door of my waiting van
In she comes with books, papers, and saxophone

Up, down and around the hills we go
marveling at all the beautiful flowers
that are abundantly scattered along our way
always inspiring happy thoughts
and lively conversation.

Dad greets us at the van when we arrive
telling a virus has come to change our lives
you must go home now and self-isolate.

I look at them sadly as if for the last time,
not knowing how different our life will be
until the Virus is gone, not soon, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment